Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Weblogs: Good Night, and Good Luck

(via Daily Kos via Premiere magazine, George Clooney comments on his starring role in the upcoming biographical movie, filmed in black-and-white, about premiere broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow)

Daily Kos: State of the Nation: "George Clooney: My father was an anchorman for years and years, and we grew up with the theory that there are very few times that broadcast journalism can make that big of a difference, but those mileposts--Murrow taking on McCarthy and Cronkite taking on Vietnam--actually change things. That was a high point in my family's life, something my father always talked about--without Murrow, what the country would have been like. So it was something I've always sort of romanticized.

And as the world changed and [it came out] that a couple of people McCarthy nailed were actually spies, there was this rewriting of history--about what a good guy McCarthy was. And it occurred to me that the whole point of what Murrow had done so brilliantly was to take on the subject matter saying, 'I don't know whether these people are guilty or not, but they have the right to face their accuser.' I wasn't looking to preach to anybody. I just thought there were some really interesting parallels to issues going on today."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home