Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Email: Politics of entitlement [AS]

My only concern with Rush [Limbaugh] is not that he's ultraconservative and ultrapopular; he is not a journalist (verifying and delivering facts) but a demagogue (choosing and bending facts to incite sympathizers' emotions). Being trained as a journalist, I'm big on fairness and accuracy. On public radio, I like Jim Hightower (who skewers corporate greed) because I believe in people over profits (esp. when it costs the public jobs, health, security or prosperity). I think [Houston Mayor] Bill White has done a great job (serving the people is always more important to me than promoting one political party).

For me, entitlement is about providing a level playing field: Yes, many minorities in New Orleans waited for someone to rescue them instead of rescuing themselves; but many times, whites were allowed to "seek food" from stores while blacks were beaten by police for "looting." (Blacks or whites should have been equally allowed to take food and equally arrested -- not beaten -- for taking merchandise.) Similarly, it's been four months and dozens of N.O. houses have still not been checked for corpses? I don't think that would happen in Palm Springs.

I don't believe (as do many males) "having a toolbox is next to godliness."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home