Thursday, December 08, 2005

Weblogs: Antisocial networking

(via stevenf) "As a general rule, I hate social networking sites. I feel awkward and egotistical writing autobiographies and then even more awkward when I inevitably end up with, like, 2 friends. Maybe the problem is it harkens me back to high school, but on an even huger scale. A worldwide popularity contest. I occasionally get an invitation email and bristle. I am shy in real life, and unlike a lot of folks, it extends to my online persona, sometimes more than I think is necessary.

But, in the spirit of growing and learning more about things and stuff, I'm going to try reversing my stance for a while. That's right, I'm fully embracing social networks. At least until it starts feeling awkward again."

(I've tried all the networking sites--since Six Degrees--and they work if you and your friends are (a) young and (b) motivated, or just organized. Since most people I know are no longer eligible for the Young Professionals local chapter (grr) and few are as organized, motivated and computer savvy, I end up with 2-8 friends on each such network.)

2 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

I'm on Orkut, and I have to beat 'em off with a stick! I don't think age has a lot to do with it, 'cause I'm eligible for SS now. Email me if you want an Invite!

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Twerpette said...

Thanks for your post. Sorry, I’m not in that one. (At first I thought Orkut was a place, like the Orkney Islands.) Listen, your blog led to so many cool links that I crashed Firefox... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home