Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Press: Love story without a kiss: Sweet Land captivates crowds - AP

"Selim, who's lived in Minnesota his whole life, was a young director of TV commercials in 1990 when he read a short story by author Will Weaver. A Gravestone Made of Wheat told the story of a Norwegian farmer in southwestern Minnesota who summons a mail-order bride from Norway, only to learn when she arrives that she's a native of Germany who had only recently moved to Norway. She knows only one English phrase: "I could eat a horse."

This complicates the farmer's efforts to marry the woman, given anti-German sentiment by the local minister and judge in the wake of World War I. The story, and the movie, follow Olaf and Inge as they negotiate their language barrier, try to overcome local prejudice, run Olaf's farm and slowly fall for each other.

"I came across Will's story one Sunday morning, and I'm not embarrassed to say it made me cry," Selim said."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home