Friday, February 08, 2008

Email: Conscientious objector [JN]

Please don't sign me up for [your] social network; I've tried dozens over the past 10+ years and I'm done with them because only 3% of all people [my age] are organized enough to use them as much as I would and [no one younger communicates with a person my age.] I don't plan to be on dozens of social networks anyway.

Also please don't include my email address in the To: field so that the whole downstream world (including spammers) also gets my personal address.

As it is I have to opt out now or they will probably (like many others) start sending me reminder emails. (See your terms of service, I'll bet it says they can email me in your name whenever they want, ostensibly to send reminders.) And I can't do so from work because the firewall blocks social networks and "reports" me to IT if I try [as it does with most people who work for a larger company nowadays].

Bottom line: I'm a nonparticipant in bulk emails and social networks [as a rule]. Anyway it's a good idea to use the Bcc: (blind copies) field when sending bulk email to your other friends. Bulk email is the main way that spammers get people's email addresses. Word to the wise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home