Saturday, May 14, 2005

Trivia: Internet inspirational stories

The punch line of one of my favorite birthday cards goes: Because I know how much old people like to get mail. So I can appreciate friends who at least are thinking of me when they send me these interminably long inspirational stories about the little boy (or girl) who is dying in the hospital, says (or does) something so poignant, motivating the parent (or pastor) to rally community support ... showing how angels walk among us. I can empathize with those who believe and share these stories, and yes, they are fine stories; I just do not have the time or credulity to finish reading them. Because I have been a professional technology writer for 20-plus years, I live on the Internet around the clock, so I have seen hundreds of these things. (It would be an interesting if pointless sociological study to examine how and therefore why these stories appear with subtle changes over time.) Anyway, I do not believe they are true unless I can verify their appearance in a newspaper or other publication with more authority than an email that has passed through four million hands so far. I find that asking friends nicely not to send me those kinds of stories helps (because of how busy I am or how many I already receive); and that may work for you too. Those less experienced with email may snap back at you though, presuming a personal rejection, so be forewarned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home