Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Email: A suggestion [SD]

I find myself sometimes feeling the discussion via email is getting tedious. (I hope you don't mind my being frank and direct; [you know] that is who I am. I move ahead fast, as a rule.)

I said before that I'm just not going to address the redundant or plainly obvious stuff, but I think the causes run deeper than that remedy will go.

I think we both feel a need to sincerely and somewhat exhaustively express ourselves by addressing every point in kind that another makes via email.

I've said I'm going to lighten up and skip stuff, but perhaps it would help if this were a two-way street.

Even so, you are free to say whatever you wish to say. I would never wish to proscribe that in any way.

Another solution that might work is to rely less on email for communication (which some people, esp. in tandem, tend to use as a retreat away from more direct means of communication, such as phone calls or coffee klatsches). This would imply a reordering of time and priorities.

The extreme approach is to only interact with others by phone or in person, so that email does not pass from being a convenience to becoming a time-waster. (Life only happens in real-time.) I do suggest that if you are awake throughout the wee hours of the night, email is perhaps the least of your concerns.

No matter what, the best thing for you or me or anyone is to focus on what is important, and not to fritter away time or procrastinate when such can be avoided. This is how I live -- as if I am a "man on a mission" -- and so I share that perspective with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home