Monday, August 08, 2005

Trivia: Construction shoos blue herons

I-10 is getting not just an extreme makeover; this is more like sex-change surgery on steroids. Two lanes highway and two lanes feeder road each way is becoming 12-20 lanes across (with its widest expanse of 530 feet to fall just west of me at Bunker Hill).

At least I know the back ways in and out of Hedwig Village. However, not to be outdone, construction crews are digging up the bayou trace that runs south from I-10, inside Campbell and then alongside my property. In other words, they've blocked the water, dug a four-block-long 30-foot trench within 100 feet of my bedroom and will soon start laying giant concrete culvert pieces before they sod the whole thing over. (If I were British, I'd make a bitter joke just there.) So what will I miss? The blue herons hunting for minnows (or possibly snakes) along the embankment. (Sorry I said you were not-so-great herons, guys.) They'll still hunt along the greener, deeper trace where it runs past Spring Branch Public Library; just not outside my back door.

Here is a pre-construction TerraServer aerial view of my immediate area with another of the trace as it runs east then north.

In related research, I learned the wikipedia even has a page on Hedwig Village and that I am living in the fourth-wealthiest zip code in the country. Yow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home