Friday, September 23, 2005

Weather: Bring it on, Rita

After Katrina hit New Orleans, I wrote (rather blithely, though it makes strict logical sense) that no one should have stayed in town with such a storm en route. Yet I had the feeling that evacuation is more easily said than done, and that one way or the other, I might eat my words.

Well, here comes Katrina's sister Rita. My words taste about how I expected. Tart.

Neither my household nor the majority of those who are important to me have evacuated. This doesn't mean plans weren't made or attempted. What happened? These decisions are generally not made alone. Anyone could in theory hop in a car and head out of town solo -- though this would have been even more logistically impossible than the gridlock that did ensue. No, people band together with their families to stick together and ensure each other's safety; and in the sometimes confusing back-and-forth of familial decisions, things happen. LK crushed two fingers in her garage door and decided to hunker down at home; everyone else debated and ultimately chose not to risk the roads and to "shelter in place" in the most secure home available to their family group. LG got off to her mother's in Sealy. I pray that AS was able to evacuate Beaumont.

Evacuation is a full-time job for the duration. You batten down the hatches, gather supplies, gather with others and, in stages, reach your final destination (with the many delays and linkages this process requires). More can be said in retrospect, but for now, Rita is imminent, and I for one will be grateful if we make it through with windows, roof and power intact. It will be a long 36-hour vigil, beginning in an hour or so. No false bravado in my words "Bring it on, Rita," but respect. This is my first hurricane, and for Rita's weakening and slight turn east, I am grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home