Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Weblogs: Gen X and cranky - part 1

I Will Sing: "I am feeling cranky about some churchy things.

1) Ministry to people in their 20's and 30's is called Ministry to Young People. ON THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH USA! This is insulting. I checked with Computer Guy. He agrees.

Young people? My Rite 13 kids are young people. My undergraduate work study students are young people, just barely. I, however, am not YOUNG PEOPLE! I am younger than most members of your average Episcopal church, yes, this is true. But I have a life. I am an adult with adult responsibilities. I am not a stranger from a distant land (even if I am, be nice to me any way). I am not of another species. I am an Episcopalian sitting in the pew next to you, praying just as hard as you, trying just as hard to figure out what the Gospel says and then trying to follow it!

2) The links to Gen X related things and groups on the Episcopal Church USA website are broken. Yep, that'll bring us in. We Gen Xers LOVE broken hyperlinks. Shows us how much ya really care.

3) My choir's soprano section lives under a rock.

My rector mentioned in last week's sermon that every new family/person under 40 that has joined our congregation in the last year checked us out online first. Now, my reaction to that is DUH. Not having a website is like shooting yourself in the foot. I'm never sure about organizations without one; I kind of wonder if they want me to show up and/or buy their product. Anyway, the sopranos (for once I am glad that my second soprano voice is currently helping the wonderful warm fuzzy and clued in altos) asked CG if this was really true. He nodded. Shock and awe followed. Sigh. And we wonder where all the young families are..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home