Thursday, October 27, 2005

Technology: Correcting foreigners' English

I'm on live chat with Symantec technical support right now, with Syoosh before a handoff to Anubhav. Naturally, an impish new campaign with a side of social justice just came to me: Every time I call technical support and get someone in India who is making hamburger of the English language, I'm going to play school teacher and correct their English. After all, it's what a technical writer (which I am) is paid to do, right? Don't we all hate those hamhandedly worded product manuals written by people in farflung parts of Asia? Aren't we sick of our jobs being flung in that direction too? Don't these people want to speak English and thereby do their jobs better?

Just so they don't ask in that smarmy tone that AT&T perfected, "How may I provide you with excellent service?" That would be the ultimate of ironies.

I blame the money-grubbing corporations behind these harebrained schemes that spin away our jobs and then waste our time. I've wasted 45 minutes online so far with this clown, and he hasn't said one useful thing yet. The sad part is, it's the only way possible to get tech support from the Symantec/Norton behemoth. After IBM, I have found them over the past 15 years to be the most monolithic and unreachable tech firm.

Time to start abandoning some of the industry leaders in favor of worthy startup firms, I suspect.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

The "someone" you talk with will have "his" English corrected (maybe).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home