Sunday, October 09, 2005

Weblogs: This is what 'advice and consent' means

(Look at me! I'm quoting Ann Coulter on Twerpette! Thanks for the pointer, MG. I've been formulating my opinion against the Harriet Miers nomination for the Supreme Court since the morning of its announcement, and I jotted down a skeleton draft on Thursday, but Ann's expert Bush bashing in her October 5 column below coincides with two of my points: Miers is in no way qualified, and America gets to make the decision, not Bush.)

AnnCoulter.com: "First, Bush has no right to say 'Trust me.' He was elected to represent the American people, not to be dictator for eight years. Among the coalitions that elected Bush are people who have been laboring in the trenches for a quarter-century to change the legal order in America. While Bush was still boozing it up in the early '80s, Ed Meese, Antonin Scalia, Robert Bork and all the founders of the Federalist Society began creating a farm team of massive legal talent on the right. [...]

However nice, helpful, prompt and tidy she is, Harriet Miers isn't qualified to play a Supreme Court justice on "The West Wing," let alone to be a real one. Both Republicans and Democrats should be alarmed that Bush seems to believe his power to appoint judges is absolute. This is what 'advice and consent' means."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home