Sunday, October 01, 2006

Technology: Microsoft Outlook inbox corrupts at 2 GB

I was too busy Thursday and Friday to pass along this nugget, but in case you didn't know:

Do not let your Outlook inbox reach 2 GB in size.
Do not put off archiving your inbox because you're not sure if it will take your mail history offline.

The inbox archive feature will break out mail for the intervals you define and keep them online but in a separate Outlook directory. Be sure to name the archive something other than the default archive.pst (for example, try archive-062Q.pst for second-quarter 2006 missives) or each archive will overwrite your previous archive. But archive! Or your inbox will become corrupt and require running the Inbox Repair Tool, which may or may not work (requiring an inbox truncation utility if the latter). Suffice it to say my work e-mail was down for a 26-hour period. You may not deal with as many attachments as I do, but a regular archive would appear to be part of a right-living, no-worries philosophy.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Rather than using archive, I prefer to use tools and make an additional mailbox file. (I think it becomes a .pst file) This I can store on my work server or on a thumb drive (and review at home if needed). Nothing gets overwritten and I can access it when I need. I can drag and drop all excess mail into the file right in outlook and have full control. I tried using archive early on, but found that I would forget about it and lost data.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home