Thursday, March 08, 2007

Peeves: Wrongside buttons and ports

OK I would like to know what brightwad designed an uninterruptible power supply with a reset button on the front. I just pushed mine back to plug in a lamp and promptly made my UPS an IPS: an interruptible power supply. Lost some unsaved work too.

Meanwhile Dell and others are putting speaker ports on the front that should only be in the back. Now my headphone cable dangles down the front of my desk, piling on the floor where it can be stepped on or run over with a rogue caster.

The only thing that should be on the front of a system -- though covered with a Dell-like flap, mind you -- is the serial number. I'm tired of pulling equipment out of its stack or cable nest then upending hardware (fighting cables that won't reach that far) so I can read tiny serial numbers upside-down in the dark -- all one-handed or while clamping a phone between shoulder and ear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home