Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Trivia: Cityguide boo! Audio & Video Plus hurray!

I realized Tuesday that, due to my not watching Bicentennial Man as promptly as planned, Netflix was not going to ship me High Noon in time for a planned Wednesday night viewing. I checked with Blockbuster.com but they needed an extra day too. I then checked the inventory at every Blockbuster store (15) in the Houston metro area. Not one Blockbuster store carries what many regard as the quintessential Western movie! Nor do any of the three Hollywood Video stores in the metro area.
 
So I checked online for every video store within a reasonable distance. MSN Cityguide listed 17 businesses. A full 15 of them no longer exist. Cityguide's information is woefully outdated almost every time I use it. Grr!
 
Of the two places still in business, one suggested trying Audio and Video Plus in the Montrose area. It's off the technology radar screen with no Web site or computerized inventory at all, but it carries 80,000 movies in VCR and DVD format. (Whatever technology works, is my motto.) It apparently has the only copy of High Noon in the city of Houston, which is now sitting one foot to my right for a viewing tonight. Check them out! If you can't find something, call 713-526-9065 and they'll tell you if they have it. I bet they will.
 
I'm going to submit my list of 100 or so titles that Netflix and Blockbuster don't list -- not counting the many titles Netflix lists but doesn't stock yet (when the Add button says Save instead) or anymore (when the Add button says Unavailable).
 
If anyone has an idea for cajoling the producers of TV shows we love to put their stuff on DVD or online, please drop a line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home