Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Weblogs: Doonesbury slams bloggers

(see the Doonesbury strip in question)

I wrote a master's thesis on Doonesbury 20 years ago ("Zonker as Eiron: The Use of Satire and Irony in G.B. Trudeau's Doonesbury"). I even have a rare handwritten postcard from G.B. Trudeau.

Garry Trudeau is not above taking cheap shots at any side of an issue; that's part of his appeal. In fact, he really likes to stir things up -- a quality I greatly admire. (It's not always so important what side you take in a debate, but that you have a debate -- full-out, open and honest.) In this case, I think he's supporting traditional journalism (in which Trudeau and his wife Jane Pauley have a great investment).

I think journalists secretly fear the democratization of news and opinion coverage, just as typesetters rightly feared the democratization of the printing press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home