Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dialogues: You seem dogmatic

Q. You seem dogmatic.
A. That statement seems dogmatic. I wouldn't have drawn such a conclusion so quickly myself, stated it as a fact, or accused the person instead of his statements of the same. I would have asked the person this question: Do you feel as if your words might make you seem dogmatic at times?
Q. That was a long answer. Who died and made you the lawyer?
A. Questions are never as simple as they seem, to the simple.
Q. You seem judgmental.
A. Believe me, I know what being dogmatic and judgmental is, and I'm far from that mold. In fact, I'm so open-minded that I drive those people nuts.
Q. You seem opinionated.
A. My, you have a quite a propensity for the dogmatic, judgmental and opinionated shtick yourself! On the contrary, I've kept an open mind on nearly all issues, all of my life. By all indicators and measures (including Myers-Briggs), I keep an open, non-judgmental mind about everything I can. When I do need to make a judgment, it is not for arbitrary reasons or for reasons of taste, preference or convenience, but for the facts and moral values. My values are universal as well as Judeo-Christian: Do no harm, tell the truth, people before profits, all people are equal before God, and so on.
Q. Good grief, you talk too much.
A. It's better to discuss a matter than to draw terse, dogmatic conclusions about it. Some people decide never to ask or discuss the great questions of life, so they impute everyone else as being dogmatic, when in fact, they are the dogmatic ones. I think if you are the type who doesn't ask questions, you lack the tools to discern or decide; only through asking questions and considering alternatives can you keep an open mind -- which isn't what a dogmatic person wants to do anyway. It's not having a closed mind that leads to being dogmatic, it's being dogmatic that leads to having a closed (and ignorant or bigoted) mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home