Monday, September 19, 2005

Weblogs: Yay, witch hunts!

Bad Catholic: "Gosh, they're really making me want to stay in the Catholic Church with this. And I'm not even a gay man. I can't imagine how this must feel for them, especially those who feel called to ministry. Now let me get this straight (no pun intended, sorry): The only gay men who can get into seminary now are the ones who are willing to lie about their sexual orientation. And this is somehow a step toward protecting children? How does that work? How does it help to screen out the healthy, honest candidates? The men who abuse children aren't the ones who accept themselves the way God made them. And though most abuse victims are boys, that doesn't mean most abusers are gay, as the article notes. Homosexuality and attraction to children are two different things, and it's often a question of access.

[Moreover,] this idea actually contradicts the Church's own position on the role of sexual orientation.

I think I'll go fantasize about being Episcopalian for a while..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home