Thursday, November 17, 2005

Email: Hurricane alley [CC]

Thanks for checking out my weblog. I'm sure most people our age don't have time to read weblogs much; I try and it's hard for even me! I fear they are a medium for twentysomethings, as they begin to take over the reins from us fortysomethings to sixtysomethings. ;-)

With the hurricane migration that Rita inflicted on Houston, it does make one wonder how the roads might handle traffic if more people had to leave. You had to prepare your classroom as well as your home! I would expect skylights to blow out too; since I wasn't sure if a window would blow out or a tree would cave in the roof (or worse, like that home that a tree sawed in half to the ground in east Texas), I bagged everything I could and put it out of (intuitive) harm's way. Oh well, just two weeks left to hurricane season now.

My folks and certain friends have always tweaked their homes to their liking, but I have valued my time for "more important" things (intellectual and artistic pursuits). I did what was necessary with my first home in Minnesota, but (to paraphrase Christ) "the chores you will always have with you." People like me will always have huge to-do lists; what's essential is to come to peace with what needs to get done vs. all the rest, and to push energetically on that even while taking time for "what's important" (values vs. activities).

Try to find new kinds of friends, not the ones who gravitate to you -- a lesson I'm teaching myself.

Thanks for all your news about the hurricane... I'm sure your doggies did very well, sweet things... Molley and I did a lot of snuggling, she with her nose buried under my armpit most of the time. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home