Friday, November 18, 2005

Weblogs: How to pick up Syrian women

Borgard Blog: "My interest and ability in learning the Arabic language has preceded to a new level. The first level (let's call it the I never thought I'd eat sheep's testicles level) was seeing how much I could learn for free, via the internet and our public library. It didn't help me talk to Grandma. She doesn't serve sheep's testicles nor does she keep scorpions in her house. The second level involved actually spending a little money and purchasing a book and a dictionary. I choose a grammar book which teaches the language systematically, which is good for the way my brain works, but isn't helpful for conversation. Unless, of course, you're are conversing about kings, sheikh, horses and swords, or wish to say Get back in the kitchen, O girl, and do your duty!. So, I still can't say much to Grandma, but if the occasion arises, I will be sure to tell her that the king's daughter and the sultan's son are friends. I'm not done with that book yet, but I have moved to a third level, the ever-praised Pimsleur CDs. Now, I'll be ready for real conversation.

Or so I thought.

After the 3rd lessons, I joked with hubby that it seemed like a course in how to pick up Syrian women."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home