Friday, November 18, 2005

Weblogs: Thank you for letting me be myself again

"Well Mr. Potential is local. To quote the ever fabulous Bridget Jones, 'He likes me just the way I am.' He's even suggested that we go to see the upcoming Harold Ramis film, 'The Ice Harvest'. It's a heavy drama. I'm not sure whether it's first date material. After all, sometimes seeing a bad film on a date is a precursor for relationship disaster for me. With Mr. Could Have Been My First Ex-Husband, we saw 'Dante's Peak' starring Pierce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton. With Mr. Record Producer it was 'Galaxy Quest' starring Sigourney Weaver and Tim Allen.

Since there's a eventual possibility of physical contact to consider, I've debated about posting a second blog about my weight struggle. Most of us have at least five or six different blogs in us. A lot of the time most of us don't show our true colors at office. It's "take one for the team" mentality. You're supposed to leave whatever real life issues on the doorknob after you enter. *Poof* It's easy. Yeah right. I thought it was supposed to get easier as you get older. The workplace reverts to a high school mentality of cliques. Along with it are observing others having an edge due to the connections made by their parents, alma maters, and fraternal organizations. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know.

I'm dreading interviews. I know for a fact my weight and size will be working against me. I'd be naive not to know that. So many news programs and talks shows have had thin less qualified person vs fat more qualified person go undercover for interviews for the same job. You guessed it easy reader. The thin person almost always gets the job. Not only that, they get access to better opportunities in the workplace once they get there.

An example, one of Minnie's sisters was a big time account executive of a company that was later busted for falsifying records. She was bringing in accounts that were worth one million dollars. But time and again, she was overlooked for promotions. Why? Because she didn't fit the corporate mold that they had in mind. Food for thought, in this case, the woman in question wasn't fat either. None of accounts said, we won't do business with your firm unless you get a makeover. Is it any wonder that plastic surgeons are making money faster than they could spend it?"

(I ran across Modern Day Spinster searching for "Bush" and "weasel." ;-) If I were a woman, I wouldn't date any man who wanted to watch Dante's Peak (1999 snoozer) or Galaxy Quest (nerdy scifi) on a date ... or Close Encounters, or Coyote Ugly, just to pick the two videos next to Dante's on my own shelf. [I wouldn't even date a record producer.] Also don't worry about your weight; change for yourself but not to putatively "win" any guy who wouldn't date you if you weren't thin. Pick a guy who likes what's inside you, since anyone who looks at only the outside is probably too shallow to make a deep and lasting commitment. Just a few thoughts from a man who knows men.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home