Sunday, July 17, 2005

Dialogues: Why I do the things I do

I learn languages quickly because I have a gift for them in addition to an active inner dialogue. (Sometimes I think I could stage a whole play in there.)

Since I've had a lot of experience with people who are overly critical or who are just pushing their agenda without considering mine, I've decided to add a new category to my weblog called Dialogues. A combination between the Socratic Dialogues and Conversations with God, Dialogues presents imaginary conversations with a person who doesn't yet understand my modus operandi, especially regarding personal boundaries. Here is the first of my Dialogues, with Q. denoting the interrogator and A. denoting the respondent:

Q. "Who writes this Boobs thing that you mention on your weblog?"
A. "You mean a weblog called Boobs, Injuries and Dr Pepper?"
Q. "Yes. Who is she? Where is she? Do you write to her? Do you know her? Do you date her? Have you slept with her?"
A. "I have no idea what her name is; she doesn't give it on her weblog. (Few do.) I don't know her or anything about her besides what you can read in her weblog. She's just funny -- earthy and funny, esp. her riff on insurance customer calls. Honestly, I don't know her, nor do I think about it." [Silence on remaining questions]
Q. "Well, boobs isn't a good word to have on your weblog. It's not particularly Christian, is it?"
A. "It's a better and milder word than perhaps every alternative, unless hers or mine were a medical weblog."
Q. "She uses four-letter words."
A. "...and...? Boob is a four-letter word."
Q. "You know what I mean. Bad words."
A. "Words are sounds with connotations of meaning. They are only bad if we make them that way."
Q. "Well, I don't like it."
A. "Point well taken; your opinion counts. However, I didn't link to her weblog specifically to please you; I did it to please me -- and anyone else who shares my sense of humor and whimsy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home