Friday, September 09, 2005

Musings: Kids are kids

My brother Dave wants to know if there's any alternative to kids' just driving their parents crazy sometimes. I shared my considered wisdom, which says: Nope. They're human beings, and still-developing ones at that; they are going to drive their parents crazy, just no way around it.

I've seen even the most exemplary kids cause their parents twinges of anxiety, so maybe it's all relative; just be happy your kids aren't in juvie court.

I think God's plan in the whole thing is actually not so much for the parents to shave the rough edges off the kids, but for the kids to shave the rough edges off the parents. (I saw a mother yesterday cause her tyke to cry for no reason; she was snarling about his behavior when he was only being the sweetest little tater tot.) I believe God wants us to continue to grow and gain a balanced perspective as adults even as we did through childhood and adolescence.

Growth is built into the bones: If we allow it, every being will grow and develop as intended (physically, emotionally and spiritually). The only way to prevent that is to do something to squash the spirit.

Let's all vow: Do no harm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home